Boone Visits DU-Maine Series
(click to enlarge photos)
.
.
While in Maine over the weekend, I ran into an old friend, The Denver Boone. The following is a transcript of our conversation at the bar of the University Inn in Orono.
.
dg: Long time, no see.
Boone: Its been a while.
dg: Is that the same 1957 Chrysler you had in Denver? (above)
Boone: Yep, I love that car. Still has the old school colors. I bought it right after Colorado College won their second National Championship. A few years later I promised myself I wouldn't buy a new one until CC won again. I've been through a few engines and transmissions, but it still runs great. Everytime CC fires their coach or they leave for greener pastures, I buy a new set of tires.
dg: What have you been up to?
Boone: After I got "fired" by DU, I got divorced and did a lot of travelling. I'd been in Denver for over 30 years and never took too many vacations, so I had a little money saved up and decided to get away.
dg: Where did you go?
Boone: Mostly Europe. Spent some time in Germany and was there when the Berlin Wall came down (above). It was definately a powerful experience and it was one crazy party. I hung out with Lukas Dora in the Czech Republic and lived in Prague for a while. Saw Erik Andersson in Sweden and Jussi Halme in Norway.
dg: Why so much time overseas? I thought you would have easily got another mascot gig in the US.
Boone: I was burned out. I wanted to go some place where mascots weren't persecuted or even recognized. That ruled out North Dakota or Florida State.
dg: What was the story with you and the police back in 2002? I heard you'd been arrested (above).
Boone: A misunderstanding. My lawyers worked it out and the Mayor of Portland apologized.
dg: What are you doing in Maine?
Boone: I have a cabin nearby in Boothsbay, Maine. I go fishing in the summer and have an apple orchard that I run commercially. I heard that Peter Mannino had a picture of me on his helmet. Thought I'd pop over and check it out this weekend.
dg: You've been missed. People ask me about you all the time. DU now has a Red Tailed Hawk, but nobody knows who he is.
Boone: Thanks, I don't really keep up with it. Its good to see everyone again and that the program is back to its former glory.

No comments: