Peter Mannino Unveils 2007-08 Goalie Mask



From: Rocky Mountain News
by Pat Rooney

DU goalie Peter Mannino shares his thoughts on how he came up with the design for his new mask.

What's on it: The main feature is the two peaks with a sunset, which are located on each side of the mask. This is based off the Denver, Colorado, flag but redone with the Denver Pioneer colors. On the very top is the arched Denver. I love our traditional arched Denver, and there is no way to show it (other) than in mirror gold on the very top.

On the forehead, there is the first mascot of the University of Denver - Pioneer Pete - inside a wagon in the new gold-and-crimson colors. I love mixing old school with new school.

On one side of the mask, there is an actual image of the Ritchie Center that the painter prints off and clear-coats right onto the mask. I love the Ritchie Center and the tower, as it represents the entire athletic body. The gold tower has been on three of my helmets, because I love how opponents will be driving to the game and see the gold tower from a distance, symbolizing the strength of our athletics.

On the other side of the mask, I have an image of Boone, which was created by Walt Disney and was the second mascot in DU history. My nickname, Manno, is on the chin, kind of a tradition that I have always done.

And on the back, I put my good-luck number and two crossing flags, one of the United States and the other the Italian flag. I am very proud of being from the United States and the strong Italian background that my family comes from.

And lastly, within the peaks of the mountains, I put in different symbols of some of the teams I played for before I attended Denver. This was done to symbolize my senior year and to pay tribute to the organizations that made the opportunity to play college hockey here at DU.

Who did it: This helmet was painted in Minnesota by Todd Miska. He does many professional and amateur goaltenders, from collegiate to junior-hockey levels.

How it started: I really enjoy doing different designs to my mask, which was a passion that my father had when I was younger. I just try to make it as interesting as possible, so the fans can enjoy it and that my teammates give it their approval.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jqwe think that the helmet is awsome, we are a family from Nebraska who has watched pete in his USHL years with the Tri-City storm, his helmet is as awsome as his personality and his play in the net. Thanks big fans from kearney, NE. go pete win!

Anonymous said...

Pete's new mask is cool. I am one of his friends from kearney when He played for the storm. Keep it up pete