Colborne Seen As "Joe Thorton Type" Player

From: Calgary Herald
by Bruce Dowbiggin


Each year at NHL draft time, you'll hear a litany of reservations about the young men who want NHL careers. Too slow, too small, too big, too laidback, too undisciplined, too European, too distracted . . . the list of player deficiencies is governed only by the imaginations of the scouts and GMs who must sort out the players. And sometimes the scouts can get very creative when dissecting a young fellow.

But in all the years of drafting, the 2008 draft might be the first time we hear the warning "too affluent" attached to a young hockey player. That might be the harshest thing the talent evaluators can say about Calgary prospect Joe Colborne, who shot to prominence this year leading the Camrose Kodiaks to the Doyle Cup as the playoff MVP.

Colborne's dad, Paul, is the highly successful chairman of TriStar Oil & Gas. As such, Joe has had the benefit of his father's money and his expertise in building his career. In a business that is suddenly awash in young men chasing millionaires, the 18-year-old is not going to be motivated by money as he sets out to conquer the NHL.

Which, in some corners, is seen as a question mark for the towering winger (six foot five) who's committed to the University of Denver next year. Will the 18-year-old Colborne have the burning desire of a player from Prince Albert or Pardubice who sees a hockey career as the only way out? Can the CJAHL's 2008 player of the year consistently motivate himself through the grind of an NHL season when he has a comfortable place to land if it all falls apart?

"I can tell you this about Joe," says former Flames GM Craig Button, who has seen Colborne play many times, "He has a burning desire to compete and make himself better. Any suggestion that he might not -- because of his family's situation -- is resentment on other people's part. In five years, we'll look back and talk about him as one of the stars of this draft. "

Colborne hears the chatter from a few opponents and scouts as he heads to the draft next month, but sees his background as a positive, not a drawback. "A lot of people think I don't have much to do with it. But they haven't seen how hard I have worked. I had the chance to see how hard my dad had to work to be successful, and I know what it will take to reach my own goals."

A healthy family fortune isn't the only question about the poised, well-spoken product of the Edge School here in Calgary. Much like Dany Heatley, Colborne chose to forsake the WHL to play Junior A in Camrose. While not the drawback it once was with scouts, choosing lower competition can put an asterisk next to a player's accomplishments.

But for Colborne, staying in Camrose with coach Boris Rylalka was simply a matter of loyalty and a good fit. "Boris gave me an opportunity when no one else would when I was 16, and I had such a great year that I decided I'd come back," says Colborne, who's also an honours student. "We went pretty much with the coaching with Boris. In my opinion, Boris is one of the top coaches in all junior hockey. He's demanding that you don't take shifts off. But he's also very supportive, giving you a chance to make up for it. Confidence-wise, I grew a ton in accepting criticism and not backing down, to play your game.

"I've done a lot of growing physically and emotionally in the last couple of years, and I don't think I would have been given such an opportunity in the WHL. Seeing how I grew as a player and person in Camrose, I can't say I have had any regrets."

Colborne notched 33 goals with 90 points on his way to 2008 CJHL player of the year honours. He's assured of being the first AJHL product drafted in the first round. Now, some feel he could be like Kyle Turris -- who starred in the BCJHL last season -- and wind up in the top ten of the draft. It could all be overwhelming, but Colborne's keeping his powder dry.

"I think the draft itself is a little bit overblown, because you're still a long ways away from making the NHL," he notes. "Some guys think that when you're drafted you have it made. But it's a great honour. I think my parents are more nervous about the TV and all that than I am. I'd be happy to hear my home team Calgary called. I was a Flames fan growing up. I cried when Al MacInnis got traded, I was heartbroken. But I just want to hear my name called."

While Colborne's a tall player, at just 190 pounds he hasn't filled into his frame yet. As such, he's probably not strong enough for the big boys of the NHL -- yet. The Hockey News quotes scouts saying he needs to hit the gym in Denver to get stronger. (Pioneers head coach George Gwozdecky will see to that.) But he has that special something when it comes to hands and hockey sense.

Colborne's role models are big-body types such as Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier and Jason Spezza. "With Thornton, I love how he protects the puck with his body. I learned so much watching how he shields the puck down low. Lecavalier, too, he's a smart guy who shows me how to bring along my physical side and my leadership skills. Spezza's that way, too. It would be great to ever be compared to them."

Taking to scouts, the comparison to San Jose's enigmatic star Thornton comes up. Some wonder if Colborne will be happy to play on the periphery -- like Thornton -- and not go to the danger zones in front. Says Mark McKay, one of his advisers: "Anyone who's seen Joe Colborne play know that's an unfair comparison. He'll go to the front of the net. You can't intimidate him."

Button sums up the Thornton/Colborne comparison debate. "If someone told me that Colborne was going to turn out like Thornton I'd take him in a minute. Who doesn't want a Joe Thornton? He's an elite player."

And Colborne hopes he's not seen as an ordinary Joe, either.

No comments: