Future DU Hockey Dad Frees Up His Schedule

(left) Larry Donovan will spend more time watching his son Matt play hockey next season for Cedar Rapids next season

From: NewsOK.com

Future DU hockey dad and University of Oklahoma club hockey coach Larry Donovan has resigned as head coach, and assistant Tom Murphy has been promoted to fill the vacancy.

Donovan, who guided the Sooners to a 74-22-1 record in five seasons, will be an assistant with the team. The reason for leaving the head post is so he can spend more time with family — and travel to see son Matthew play in the USHL with Cedar Rapids. Matthew Donovan, who was selected by the New York Islanders in the fourth round of this year's NHL Draft, will play at the University of Denver in 2009.

"I intend to remain as involved as I possibly can with OU hockey,” Larry Donovan said. "This transition will allow me some flexibility to travel to see Matt, as well as see more of my wife and daughter, more often than I could if I remained head coach.”

"Larry has established a high standard of excellence at OU hockey,” Murphy said. "I'm ready to continue that tradition and can't wait for the season to get underway.”

No comments: