Trotter Bulked Up For AHL Campaign

From: Hamilton Spectator
by Garry McKay


Although the Montreal Canadiens laid it out for him in black and white, Brock Trotter didn't really need to be told.

Trotter left the University of Denver in January of last season and joined the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The 20 American Hockey League games he got into were enough to tell the 170-pound centre that he had to get bigger and stronger. And when the season ended and the Canadiens told him to go home and hit the weights, it just re-enforced something he already knew.

"I put on 15 pounds and my body-fat percentage actually went down," said Trotter yesterday after Day 3 of training camp.

"I worked with a personal trainer for most of the summer. I told him what the organization expected out of me and he laid out a program."

Trotter said his summer workout program involved very little cardio, at least at the start, and included a lot of weightlifting.

"When I came out of college, it was a step up, and with every step up, you have to get quicker and strong," he added. "I don't notice that I'm carrying extra weight but I feel stronger on the puck. It helps when you're not getting pushed off the puck and can be stronger in the corners."

Trotter teamed with Mike Glumac and David Desharnais to form the most effective line in the 3-1 win over the Toronto Marlies Wednesday night in the first game of the Iceberg Cup at Mile One Centre.

Trotter scored what turned out to be the winning goal early in the second and Glumac added some insurance late in the period.

"That was the best he's looked at camp," said head coach Don Lever, who added there was no question in his mind that Trotter needed to get stronger.

"He was getting pushed off the puck a lot last year. But 15 pounds! That's more than I expected."

No comments: