An Open Letter To DU Students About Boone

Bart Gottula is a DU student graduating next week. He asked LetsGoDU to print his "Open Letter" to the DU students he's leaving behind.

Class of 2012 and Beyond,

Over the past four years at DU, I have witnessed some of the most dynamic changes within my life and the lives of my peers. While my college years are limited, I continually look back and wonder why that “small” decision to attend DU was so pivotal. Did I decide on this expensive private school for the reputation, athletics or academic quality? Every time I answer that question, I return to the same answer: the students. The power for change and the networks for success at the University of Denver are difficult to come by anywhere else. While many may not think of DU as a bandstand for change or collection of activists, the networking capabilities at the university are completely baffling. In recent months we have even seen an uprising of students who want to take a stand for their own school spirit.

As I look forward to my graduation this quarter, I also think back to my first year in college. Denver Boone was a mere echo during that year – a rusty mascot who marks a different era at the school. Our fight song was virtually nonexistent to the incoming class. Although our hockey team had just returned from back-to-back championships, we felt a little lost in our own identity. Nevertheless, a storm began to brew. Players, students, parents, and alumni alike all took part in a resurgence of character. DU wanted Boone back. Although I was first hesitant to the revival of Boone and our fight song, I soon began to see the power it had over students. To those that question this revival: look at the power of change. You may or may not be in favor of Boone, but look at the power of networking and student organizations. We chose a private school for better interaction, a close-knit pride, and the ability to have our voices heard. As many before me have shouted: “We are Denver.” This is our school and we will not go without a fight. We will not lie down only to have our beliefs squandered. Boone is a symbol. He may or may not return (officially and unofficially), but he represents the power of students. He represents the power of a private institution and the power of pride. If you do not take control of your future, someone else will.

Therefore, as a soon-to-be alumnus, I can only offer my advice for the remainder of your short stay: take change into your own hands. Take part in your school. Justify your tuition and see the effects that change can have on people. As much as I can support the new revival in school spirit, you hold the key to DU. Never forget you came here for a reason.

Best of luck,

Bart Gottula
Class of 2009

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good letter!

I can see the pride people are taking in the fight song revival, the mascot issue and other matters of pride.

It's great to see the students caring about school spirit, and we'll do our best to help them,

dggoddard said...

Whenever I speak to DU students today, I tell them that my "School Spirit Experience" starting the Bleacher Creatures was easily the #1 event that defined my collegiate career.

Jason L. said...

Well written letter by a well respected student. Bart, your Boonetown shirt this weekend is on me, its the least we can do. Here's to more students who hold the pride and spirit of this great University.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bart, I also hope for the change of the change of the hope. Lets go DU! And lets shoot hang some tigers tonight!