Pat Rooney Profiles Kyle Ostrow For LetsGoDU

(above) Kyle Ostrow has four game winning goals this season

By Pat Rooney
Special to LetsGoDU


Yes, standout center Tyler Bozak will return to the lineup when the University of Denver begins the NCAA tournament on Friday against Miami (Ohio).

And junior forward Tyler Ruegsegger, the Pioneers’ leading power-play performer who had been ruled out for the rest of the playoffs when he suffered a knee injury against Alaska Anchorage two weeks ago, has provided encouraging signs that his season may not be over just yet.

Having Bozak on the ice undoubtedly boosts DU’s chances of capturing its eighth national championship, and any contribution Ruegsegger makes will be an unexpected bonus and surely would provide an inspirational lift.

Yet in the NCAA tournament, often it is the unsung heroes that turn in the game-changing plays. In that regard do not be surprised, if a Frozen Four berth is secured by DU, that it winds up being due in part to a clutch goal or key assist from Kyle Ostrow.

The sophomore forward built on his solid freshman campaign to become one of the Pioneers’ most consistent performers this year, particularly during the season’s stretch run. Brimming with confidence, Ostrow hopes to rekindle his recent hot streak when DU takes on the RedHawks in Minneapolis on Friday afternoon.

“Losing Bozak (at midseason) was a big blow to us, and I think we had to pick up our scoring pace,” Ostrow said. “I never wanted to go out of my role or anything. I was still conscious of my role, but I think I capitalized on a lot of my opportunities in the second half of the season and created a lot of opportunities with my linemates.

“Having Bozak back now is great. I’ll still try to play the same way, and to have another scoring threat like him is awesome.”

After producing 10 goals and 23 points as a freshman, Ostrow has compiled 14 goals and 28 points this season. Moreover, he has developed a knack for producing timely points in critical situations.

Four of Ostrow’s goals have counted as game-winners, trailing only the team-leading five recorded by freshman Luke Salazar, and prior to DU’s shutout loss against Minnesota Duluth in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association tournament final last week, Ostrow had posted points in six of the previous eight games, recording five goals and three assists during that span.

“I think he has been a consistent player since he got here,” junior forward Rhett Rakhshani said. “He does a lot of little things very well. He gets the puck on net, and drives to the net hard and wide. He uses his skating abilities, and I think it has paid off for us this year. He has gotten some really big goals for us and has consistently scored for us this year.”

Ostrow was limited to a lone assist in five games during the WCHA playoffs and NCAA tournament last year, but so far he already has contributed one goal and one assist to DU’s postseason run. Ostrow said his primary offseason focus was to hone his shot, and in the anything-can-happen atmosphere of the NCAA tournament, that work could pay big dividends for the Pioneers this weekend.

“You try to improve every year,” Ostrow said. “My numbers have improved a bit this year. I think I’m a lot more confident with the puck, a lot more confident shooting the puck this year. One thing I did in the offseason was I worked on my shot a lot. When I have the puck on my stick, I’m a lot more confident shooting on net.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loving the articles from Pat. Keep 'em coming!