Rakhshani's Leads Both On & Off The Ice

(above) DU Captain Rhett Rakhshani had three assists against Calgary
photo credit: Leanna Lofte

From: DU Clarion
by Eddie Fischermann


A new season brings new hopes and new expectations, especially for DU hockey, one of the foremost collegiate hockey programs in the country.

After a disappointing end to last season, fans hope the program will rebound with a veteran team that can take DU to the Frozen Four playoffs.

The man that is tabbed to lead the team is senior forward Rhett Rakhshani.

He thinks there is something different about this season.

“I am definitely excited about this year, I don’t remember the last time I have been this excited about a season,” said Rakhshani, who is also team captain.

Head coach George Gwozdecky thinks Rakhshani has all the tools required to lead the team all the way.

“Maybe one of the more important [traits] is he is a very dependable, reliable young guy. His lifestyle is very disciplined and I think people respect him an awful lot just because of the way he lives his life,” said Gwozdecky.

Rakhshani had the drive and passion to return after being offered an NHL contract.

“I really respect him for that,” Gwozdecky said. “I really appreciate his commitment and his dedication to the hockey program and the University of Denver, and it sends a very strong message to those who are thinking of leaving early and how much a degree really does mean in this day in age.”

Rakhshani was selected by the New York Islanders in the fourth round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. There was a strong pull for him to sign this summer and become the next DU prospect to move into the NHL. However, a few things contributed to his decision to return to DU.

“The reason that pulled my heart back the most was my teammates. When I talked to the Islanders, I told them I am a loyal person and my loyalty to all my brothers on the team is very strong and it wasn’t only that, it was because I love those guys and I want to play with them for one more year,” Rakhshani said.

A new season means new goals for Rakhshani. “[We] want to win it all,” he said.

Another goal is to win the Gold Pan back from in-state rival Colorado College.

“I want increase in all areas of my game,” he said. “Consistency the thing I want to improve on most this year. I want to be a threat on the ice.”

The Islanders are not the only ones that have noticed his potential. “He will have a good career in professional hockey. I have no doubts,” Gwozdecky said.

No comments: