Sam Brittain Selected In 4th Round By Florida

(above) Sam Brittain was the 6th goaltender selected in the NHL Draft yesterday and the first college bound goalie drafted

From: Montreal Gazette
by Scott Cruickshank

Sam Brittain, net-minder of the AJHL Canmore Eagles, was selected in the 4th round of the NHL Draft by the Florida Panthers.

Florida must has liked the progress of recently graduated DU goaltender Marc Cheverie, because they drafted Brittain less than three months after signing Cheverie.

Brittain monitored the proceedings from his Calgary home.

"Unbelievable," said Brittain, slotted No. 8 on Central Scouting's ratings of North American goaltenders. "This is what you dream of as a kid -- getting your name called. An amazing experience, but the longest wait I've ever had.

"Anxious. Nerve-racking. But having my name called? Remarkable. I couldn't be happier going to Florida."

Brittain is committed to the University of Denver.

Going there as a drafted player is a thrill.

"It kind of leaves you a bit speechless," said Brittain. "You work really hard to get here. And, as hard as I've worked, I'm just starting my career. Now the work that I've put in has to be doubled . . . to push for an eventual roster spot with the Florida Panthers."

No comments: