Puck Swami Sez Its Time To Blow Off Some Steam

(left) The wise Puck Swami wrote an essay

As game time approaches, we reluctantly change gears from what has happened to Jesse Martin to what will happen against Colorado College.

This University of Denver hockey team, and its fans, must find the inner strength to come together and play (and cheer) with inspiration, passion and purpose. The way the team responds to their fallen teammate, their ever depleting roster and their arch-rival itching to get the Gold Pan back presents an amazing opportunity for this DU band of brothers to define their collective identity. Right now, they are .500 hockey team that is now sitting at something of a cross-roads in their season. Additionally, we DU fans also need to come together to put aside our stoic resolve and simply find our joy and catharsis in the all-out support of our players and our school. The team needs us, and, frankly, we need them.

This weekend's performance will tell us a lot about that identity and how they respond to the really difficult set of cards they've had to play this year. How can they deal with intense emotion, stress, distraction, doubt, friendship and duty? Coach Gwozdecky talked about "completing the mission". They now have a clearly defined inspiration for their season, but they are a young and somewhat hampered bunch right now. The old saying goes that adversity doesn't build character, but does reveal it. Gwozdecky has a very tough coaching job in front of him as he must turn a range of new emotions and uncharted territory as he channels the output of these young men into something hopefully positive.

I want to see the whole DU community rally around this team and give them the emotional boost that a full building and and arch rival provides. While nothing compares to what the Martin family and the DU players and staff are feeling right now, I will not discount the emotions that we die-hard fans are feeling, too. Many of us are also sharing this sense of being kicked in the gut - anger, pain, blame, constant questioning and a real deep fear for a young man and the program we all follow. DU fans are missing sleep, calling each other often, and sitting on their computers waiting for the next shred of information, wishing we all could help in some way.... Sometimes, this board is a even form of therapy and connection, as we share our hopes in the silence of night with others who feel what we feel...

The best therapy right now for us fans is to help Magness become the place where we all gather to let out a week's worth of shared hell in some serious fan thunder. I want to hear the student section erupt. I want to hear the fight song. I want our fans standing and yelling and giving these guys the support they need to complete their mission. I know I am going to shed some tears when they come out of the tunnel and I don't care.

Our team needs us now more than ever, but in reality, I think we need them just as much.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck there should be chills down DU fans backs when the team comes out and the crowd erupts.

YepDude (Sioux Fan)

dggoddard said...

If there are any DU students reading this article, this is how you write an essay. A literary masterpiece.

bubbles said...

GREAT BLOG! Puck, you are a very smart man. This weekend is going to be the first step for the DU players and family to move ahead and work towards healing. We will all be thinking of Number 14 while we watch the Pioneers kick CC's butt!

Aluuum said...

Well said Swam. No question tonight will be electric. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Nice post P-Swam. How'd you like to be one of those little girly CC Freshmen playing tonight for the 1st time at DU?? Talk about intimidation. Those guys have to be simply sick to thier stomach right about now, before puck drop. SEE SEA SUCHS

Anonymous said...

Wait let me wipe away the tears.

“I will not discount the emotions that we die-hard fans are feeling.”

(eye roll) Get over yourself. It’s not about YOU. I hope DU plays well tonight. I pray for Jesse and his family. But it’s about them, not you.

Twister said...

Swami,

You hit the nail on the head. Great stuff.

GO PIONEERS!!!!

puck swami said...

Anon at 12:30:

Did you not see my opening of that same sentence?

"While nothing compares to what the Martin family and the DU players and staff are feeling right now...."

I think I was quite clear that Martin's family and the DU program feel far more pain than the fans do. That's a given.

That said, I will also stand by my contention that many DU fans feel plenty of emotion around this too. I hope I was able to strike a common chord in the way many DU fans are dealing with this tragic event. Judging by most of the comments here, I hope I've succeeded. If you still think it's self serving, I assure you it wasn't intended to be. In an event like this, I think it's important that the Martin family know they that aren't alone...

Anonymous said...

I - want to hear the student section erupt. I - want to hear the fight song. I - want our fans standing and yelling and giving these guys the support they need to complete their mission. I - know I am going to shed some tears when they come out of the tunnel and I don't care.


Seems sort of selfish ya little crybaby. We love Jesse because of his guts. Grow a pair, it’s hockey!

Go DU!