DU Recruits Top-Flight European Woman Golfer

(above) Rachael Watton
by Martin Dempster

Remember the name Rachael Watton. Watton one of the top young woman golfers in the United Kingdom, will play for the University of Denver golf team next season.

Recently she helped Scotland end a 19-year title drought when the Scots won the U.K. Women's Championships in Wales. But Watton won't be around when the Scotland side to defend that Home International side is picked for the four-cornered event at Hillside in September.

The Mortonhall 18-year-old is heading to the United States on a four-year golf scholarship at the University of Denver in Colorado.

"I need to be there early this year for my orientation but hopefully I'll be available for the Home Internationals during the rest of the time I'm there," she said.

“Louise Kenney (a fellow Scottish internationalist) knew the Denver coach, Sammie Chergo, and she pointed me in that direction. I also contacted a few other US universities, but Denver fitted the bill. It has had loads of success on the golf circuit and it is also highly rated academically.
.
“I had a trip out there last month, and it was everything and more than I expected. It’s a beautiful part of the world and there are lots of great courses. The whole set up was absolutely awesome and now I can’t wait to get out there."
.
Watton, one of the rising stars in Scottish women's golf, could also have gone to University of Tennessee, where Colette Murray, a Scot, is the coach. "I chose Denver because I've been there and everyone says the coach is awesome," she added.

For now Watton will turn her attention to the St Rule Trophy at St Andrews next weekend before heading for Northern Ireland to play in the British Women's Championship at Royal Portrush.

“I will have four years in Denver and then, hopefully, I will be set to turn professional. I won’t turn pro until I feel I am really ready and I think the US college circuit will provide the perfect benchmark to judge my progress.

No comments: