For a Colorado native, J.D. Corbin's hockey career has been surreal, a tale a youngster at a Denver-area rink might conjure up as a dream.

The Littleton product spent his junior-A years at the U.S. national development program in Ann Arbor, Mich., then won consecutive championships for the University of Denver as a freshman and sophomore.

Now a senior and assistant captain for the Pioneers, Corbin's next move could take him to his ultimate goal, one that was established when the NHL returned to Colorado in 1995.

Corbin could become the first Colorado native to play for the Avalanche. The Avs selected the speedy and hard-hitting center/winger in the eighth round of the 2004 draft.

"I've been here three years and I'm comfortable here. For me, it's fun," he said. "It's great to play in front of my family, first and foremost, because before DU, they didn't get to see very much while I was in Michigan.

"Obviously, the responsibility as a captain is an honor. It doesn't have