Former Asst. Captain O'Leary Begins New Chapter

From: DU Alumni Magazine

Name: Ted O'Leary
Class: DU '06
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Hometown: Denver, Colorado
Campus Activities: DU Hockey


Why did you choose DU?
In my decision about which college to attend, it came down to DU or CC. I’m so glad I chose DU because, when I look back on my experience, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. DU has a tremendous tradition in hockey – in fact we have great tradition across all our athletics programs. When this is paired with a strong academic program, the University of Denver was a natural choice.

What is your favorite DU memory?
Playing on the DU hockey team has been amazing. Winning two consecutive Division I national championships in hockey was a hard road for all of us – as a team and as individuals. Even now, I get a chill down my spine thinking of it. I didn’t recognize how much these championships mattered to so many people in and around the University. Our entire city and campus community has been supportive and involved – not to mention the renewed school spirit evident among students and alumni.

What are your plans after graduation?
As much as hockey continues to be an integral part of my DU experience, there’s so much more to the University. I currently am pursuing both an undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences and an MBA from the Daniels College of Business. This combination of science, leadership skills and business ethics will give me an advantage when I apply to medical school next year. My goal is to practice orthopedic surgery in Colorado, bridging my love of medicine and athletics with my commitment to make a difference.

If you had the opportunity to talk to DU alumni, what would you say to them?
I would tell them thank you. If it weren’t for the gifts that alumni make to the University, I wouldn’t be a student here. I’ve jokingly said that DU won’t have to track me down after graduation to make a gift – my scholarship funded by alumni gifts made it possible for me to be here, and I want to give that same opportunity to students in the future.

No comments: