Chevy & Crosby Are Golfing Buddies

(above) NHL star Sidney Crosby grew up with DU's Marc Cheverie in Nova Scotia

From: Denver Post
by Mike Chambers


University of Denver freshman goalie Marc Cheverie, the backup to senior and All-America candidate Peter Mannino, has yet to play this season.

However, the unproven youngster already has the stamp of approval from the best hockey player in the world.

Cheverie, 20, grew up with Pittsburgh Penguins star center Sidney Crosby in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia. They went through the Canadian youth hockey system together and nearly played for the same high school team in Faribault, Minn., home of national power Shattuck St. Mary's.

"He lived about three minutes from me," Cheverie said of Crosby, the reigning NHL scoring champion and Hart Trophy winner as player of the year. "Same junior high, same novice team. He got me into Shattuck, but it wasn't the right timing. They needed a goalie, and they wanted me, but financially it wasn't really possible. My parents would have paid for it, but I got a better offer to play at Notre Dame in Saskatchewan."

Their friendship began when each was introduced to the ice at age 5 and were on the same team. Crosby, who leads Pittsburgh into Tuesday's game against state rival Philadelphia, was a natural.

"None of us could skate but him," Cheverie said. "He was the only good player we had. I remember in novice, everyone would say he's the next great one, but there's always one of those kids that people say that about. Turns out he was it."

Cheverie said Crosby is as good at preventing goals as scoring them.

"When we were in junior high, every day he'd come over to our garage and we'd do shootouts," Cheverie said. "He'd be goalie, I'd be the shooter, and then we'd switch. He's a really good goalie."

Crosby's desire to be the best was evident early.

"In grade seven, he'd call me every day to play mini- putt, like mini-golf, and it was the biggest deal to him if he didn't win," Cheverie said. "He took it so seriously. I was like, 'whatever,' but he had to win. I guess I was good competition because he liked to have me around. But he takes everything so seriously. That's probably why he's as good as he is."

No comments: