Five Questions For DU Alum Kevin Doell

(above) DU Alum Kevin Doell is enjoying his NHL experience

From: Atlanta Thrasher's Website

by Jon Cooper

An undrafted free agent, the native of Saskatoon, Sask., was signed by Atlanta on June 30, 2004, following a rewarding four-year career at Denver University, where he won a WCHA championship and graduated with a degree in Finance. He then spent two years split between Chicago (AHL) and Gwinnett (ECHL) and two more full seasons in Chicago, where he scored 31 goals and totaled 84 points, while racking up 179 minutes in penalties.

Finally, on Jan. 3, Doell, who had 14 points in 33 games, including his first career hat trick, got the call to go to the big time and the opportunity to write his chapter in what has been "The Year of the Rookies" in Atlanta.

He debuted on Jan. 4 against Carolina at Philips Arena, and won four of six faceoffs in his 9:37 of action. In his first four NHL games, he's won 60.7 percent of his faceoffs (17 of 28).

While, he's primarily played on the fourth line, he's also seen some time centering a line with Ilya Kovalchuk and Mark Recchi.

The 28-year-old center took time to talk to atlantathrashers.com about getting to the NHL, getting past his feud with a college rival-turned-teammate in Atlanta, and getting the job done playing with two possible future Hall of Famers and against other NHL superstars.


1. What do you remember about your call-up?

KEVIN DOELL: I was actually just sitting on the couch and [Thrashers VP/Assistant General Manager] Larry Simmons called and said I had a flight in a couple of hours, so I had to get up off the couch and get packed and get out of there. It was pretty exciting.

2. Since your call up you've had the opportunity to play with Ilya Kovalchuk and Mark Recchi. Describe that experience and what you can learn from playing with them.

DOELL: I just try and keep up out there, especially when I get out there with those two. Playing with a couple of veteran guys like that, Kovalchuk, the goal scorer that he is, and "Rex," all the games he's played, you just have to watch what they do and try to pick up a couple of things.

3. Have you seen an opposing player and go 'Wow!'?

DOELL: I guess there's a little bit of an awe factor out there but you can't use that once you're playing against them. You can't take it easy or, kind of say, "Oh, that's 'what's his name?' I better not hit him or something." Part of my job is to go out there and make some contact and get a little energy going. So I pretty much just have to do what I can. I guess you could say that [my physical play] is my way of introducing myself to the stars (laughs).

4. You got your first NHL call-up at 28. Was it difficult staying patient?

DOELL: It's persistence and keep working hard. The Thrashers had confidence in me to keep signing me. I was just glad to get that call and hopefully I can do what I can to help the team. Every year you go in [to training camp] thinking that maybe if the opportunity is there you can get the call and hopefully do what you can. Nothing really changes once you go down to Chicago. You've just got to keep working hard and hopefully you'll get your chance. It's definitely still nerve-wracking at the start of every game but if I wasn't nervous I guess I wouldn't be human. I've just got to keep going and hopefully get a little more comfortable out there and try and do some things.

5. How important was it for you to finish college?

DOELL: It was always a goal of mine to go to school and use hockey as an avenue to get a scholarship. So to get that degree was definitely an accomplishment I'm pretty proud of. I majored in finance and minored in accounting. I like the numbers I guess. Maybe I'll do a little investment banking [down the road]. I don't know. I haven't really decided yet. Hopefully I can find something out in the business world when I'm done.

Bonus: What's it been like playing with Colin Stuart after playing against him in college?

DOELL: Oh yeah, we played against each other (laughs). That's a big rivalry between us (Denver University and Colorado College, Stuart's alma mater). I guess you'd say we didn't really like each other back then but his first year in Chicago, my first year in Chicago (2004-05) we got to know each other and became pretty good friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was following you while you were with the Wolves.....Where are you now???

Anonymous said...

He's playing in Sweden.

Check out the Leksand Stars Website for more info.

Anonymous said...

Kevin is one of my very favorite players from the Wolves. I've met him at several charity functions and always was impressed with him personally and as a player. Best of luck to you in Swedishland.