Death Ended Masterton's Hockey Dream

LetsGoDU: This article appeared in the St. Paul Dispatch just after Masterton's death in 1968.
From: St. Paul Dispatch 1/15/68

Bill Masterton always dreamed of someday playing in the NHL. But not until the league expanded to 12 teams this season did Masterton fulfill his lifelong ambition. Masterton first began playing hockey in Canada's far flung junior hockey program and his first team was the St. Boniface Canadiens in the Manatoba Junior Hockey League in 1956-57.

But Bill - or Bat, as his North Stars' teammates
called him - didn't turn professional until he was 23. He choose instead to pursue a bachelor of science degree in business while on a hockey scholarship at Denver University.

The Winnipeg, Man. native still figured he had plenty of time to make the big time even after hissenior year when he scored 27 goals and collected55 assists on the way to being named MostValuable Player in the NCAA tournament.

Masterton recalled recently, "I signed with the Montreal organization and was assigned to their Hull-Ottawa farm club (1961-62) in the Eastern Professional Hockey League.

"After scoring 31 goals and 35 assists there, I moved up to Cleveland the following season and had what I thought was a pretty good year (AHL's sixth-leading scorer).

"But the Canadiens were loaded with centers so I really never had much of a chance to make the grade with them."

When any of the five NHL failed to draft him out of the Montreal organization, Masterton decided to quit pro hockey and return to Denver for his master's degree in 1964.

"By that time I had gotten married," Masterton continued," and there was this offer to work in contract administration for a big, establishedfirm like Honeywell.

"Everything seemed to be working out so well, I really didn't have much time to think about hockey."

Wren Blair, coach and general manager of the North Stars, was aware of Masterton's two-year pro record when he scouted the 6-foot, 186-pounder in several exhibition games he played for the U.S. National team.

Blair recalled, "I liked what I saw so I asked Bill if he would consider giving pro hockey
another fling. When he said he would like to try it, I bought his contract from Montreal.

"From what I saw of Bill in training camp, I think he'll help us. He had the misfortune of getting a shoulder separation just before the exhibition games started, but he worked hard with Lloyd Percival, our physical fitness expert, and was able to return for our last six or seven games and get three goals and a couple of assists."

Masterton said that the chance to play in the TwinCities had a big part in his decision to return to pro hockey.

"I doubt very much whether I would've considered playing hockey any place," Masterton said.

"I went to training camp knowing it wouldn't be a picnic, especially after being out of pro hockey for four seasons. I had the opportunity to skate quite a bit last summer when I coached in a summer league, and I think that helped me quite a bit. I was in pretty good shape when I reported."

Masterton admitted he was pleasantly surprised to still be with the parent club when it opened its regular season schedule Oct. 11. He would not have been eligible anyway to compete for the United States in the 1968 Winter Olympics because of his previous pro experience.

"When I signed a two-year contract, I more of less expected to spend this season at Memphis," Masterton said at the time. "I still may end up there but even if I do, I won't be disappointed because I've given myself two years to prove that I can play in the NHL."

"I realize it's going to be tough, but if I get the opportunity to play, I'm confident that I can make it."

Masterton did make it until his fatal accident Saturday night resulting in his untimely death early today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this stuff on Masterton. Being that I wasn't even born yet I didn't know much about the guy other then his death.

Thanks

dggoddard said...

The best part for me is finding the old photos. Once I add them to the Blog I have access to them for future articles and stories.

Thanks as always for commenting.