DJ Powers Interviews Andy Thomas For LetsGoDU

(above) After the Skills Competition at the Frozen Four, DU Captain Andy Thomas sat down with hockey journalist D.J. Powers to talk about hockey, DU and his future

Editors Note: D.J. Powers of Hockey's Future.com & Future Considerations.com writes articles about NHL prospects. In the past she's written exclusive articles for LetsGoDU about DU hockey alums at the Snoopy Old-Timers Tournament and interviewed former Pioneer Adrian Veideman. As the Frozen Four approached we asked her to write an article or two with a DU theme for us to publish in LetsGoDU. The first interview was with DU Captain Andy Thomas. Tomorrow we'll run her interview with Air Force star Eric Ehn.

(left) Mannino & Thomas guarded DU's net for four years together

Q & A with Andy Thomas
By: DJ Powers
Special to LetsGoDU

Defenseman Andy Thomas just completed an outstanding four-year career at the University of Denver, having served as team captain this past season. Thomas, a 2004 draft selection of the Washington Capitals, was became one of the Pioneers most reliable and durable defensemen. He appeared in 161 career games, posting 26 career points (six goals, 20 assists). Thomas’ 161 career games ties him for seventh all-time in the program’s history, while his 278 career penalty minutes ranks him eighth all-time. During the Skills Challenge last Friday at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Thomas won the Shooting Accuracy title, hitting 3 of 4 targets in the playoff round after going 4-for-8 in the opening round.

Following the Skills Challenge, Andy Thomas took time out for this interview.

Q: First of all, you were great out there tonight.

AT: Thank you

Q: So tell me about all those events that you were in, and how it all went for you tonight.

AT: I think Coach Gwozdecky wanted to put me into as many skills (events) as I could be in, just so I can keep improving myself, because I knew that I would screw up one or two of them if I didn’t do well. (Laughs) The hardest shot competition didn’t go great and obviously the breakaway relay didn’t either. It was a lot of fun and this is really great for Colorado.

Q: C’mon, Coach Gwozdecky was giving you some preferential treatment, right?

AT: (Laughs) Maybe, maybe, but I would never say that. That’s for sure.

Q: So how has the weekend been for you?

AT: Hectic. It’s been real busy. Obviously living here in Denver makes it a lot easier. It’s been pretty structured and pretty rigorous. I’ve been spending a lot of time here at the rink and have been watching some great hockey. I saw the crowds yesterday and two terrific hockey games, it was so great.

Q: Now, I’m going to ask you a real painful question

AT: Go ahead. I’ve probably been asked it before.

Q: How is it for you personally to be here at the Pepsi Center during the Frozen Four without your (DU) team among the four teams playing here this weekend?

AT: It’s tough. We had a lot of freshmen this year. We had 11-12 freshmen and it’s disappointing. At the end of the day and at the end of the season, there’s only one team really happy. Every team is kind of in the same situation. We won the (WCHA) playoff championship and the Broadmoor Trophy and can’t really beat that, especially with so many young guys. If you’d told me at the beginning of the year that we would’ve done this well, then I’d have told you that I’d definitely have been satisfied.

Q: Winning the WCHA Playoff Championship had to have felt pretty good, especially since everyone seemed to be predicting either North Dakota or CC winning it.

AT: Yeah, we were playing great hockey, but in the end [NCAA Tournament], we ran into a team (Wisconsin) that didn’t have much to lose. We played Wisconsin real tight, but gave up six goals. So we kind of beat ourselves that night. But we went into the WCHA tournament with a lot of confidence and we were successful there.

Q: So what happened against Wisconsin in the regional aside from the fact that you guys lost in their house?

AT: Yeah, that was tough. It adds a whole new element to it. But they play good hockey and great playoff hockey. They’re very well coached and have a good goalie, so it was tough.

Q: But that sounds just like what you guys have.

AT: Yeah, and that’s the funny thing. They play a much similar defensive style. They can get all the pucks to the net and they play real physical. They played with a lot of emotion and they had a lot of rest coming into that weekend.

Q: Having served as captain of the Pioneers this year and going through the many adversities that you guys went through, how were you able to handle it all and bring the guys together game in and game out?

AT: We just kept reminding each other and kept reminding all of the guys on the team that adversity happens, whether it’s injuries, sickness or personnel losses. We obviously faced some injuries and some personnel losses, but we battled through it. We have a lot of great, young guys that have a lot of energy who were very, very understanding, very attentive and really took what I, the other captains and coaches said to heart. Everyone says that I have a real hard job with 11-12 freshmen, but they made my job so easy because they were like clay to mold. Looking at the next three or four years, Denver hockey is going to be very, very good.

Q: Now that you’ve wrapped up your career at DU, what are you taking from it going forward?

AT: Well, I’m a Capitals draft pick, so we’ll see what happens in the next month or two here. The best part is that I’ll be getting my degree pretty soon. That’s exciting to have that chapter of my life coming to a close and we’ll see what happens. Obviously getting an education from Denver isn’t too bad.

Q: Speaking of the Capitals, have they been in touch with you since the (DU) season has ended?

AT: Yeah, there’s been a little bit of contact, but they’re real busy with the (NHL) playoffs and they’re going to be busy for the next however many weeks, which is great that they’re back in the playoffs and having more success. It’s a long summer and they have my rights until August 15, so it’s a big waiting game. I’m starting to realize that now. (Laughs)

Q: So is the wait really tough?

AT: It is because you want to know what your future is going to hold for you, and what’s going to come next. It’s so hard to wait, especially in terms of hockey and professional sports. But the nice thing is I know that I have my degree from Denver to fall back on.

Q: Something that I asked one of your former teammates, Adrian Veideman earlier that I’ve gotta ask you is in your career at DU, how many oranges and how many lemons did win? [Orange & Lemon YouTube Video]

AT: I counted them like three days ago, and I had two oranges and five lemons in my career.

Q: So when did you win your oranges?

AT: My sophomore and junior years. In this past year, I came real close once, but I’m alright with it. That helmet got pretty uncomfortable a couple of times. (Laughs)

Q: Finally, now that you’ll be leaving DU soon, what would you like to be best remembered for?

AT: The pride that I had playing for Denver and the fact that I truly cherished every second that I wore the jersey. I’m thankful because towards the end of this year, I really realized that it was coming to an end. I just want to be remembered as a person who was very appreciative of all the people that have influenced me. It’s tough and it always has to come to end, even though you don’t want it to. I just want to be remembered as a person who was passionate about, appreciative of, and really takes a lot of pride in Denver and Denver hockey.

Q: Do you feel that the team has become like a second family to you?

AT: Oh, absolutely. They took a chance on me when I was 18 and Coach Gwozdecky threw me right into the fire.

Q: In covering the DU old-timers at the Snoopy Tournament, one thing that I discovered was the team really is like one big family.

AT: Yeah, guys like Jim Wiste, Cliff Koroll, Ron Grahame and all the names. A lot of those people have had a big influence on me since my career started at Denver. And even former captains like Ryan Caldwell and Matt Laatsch I credit a lot to for taking me from where I’ve been to where I’ve gotten to now. So yeah, it really is a family here. If you’ve worn the jersey, you’d understand.

Q: So for you, it’s more like an extended family.

AT: Absolutely and they’re people who would do anything for you too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah they played wisconsin tight alright losing 6-2 is about as tight as you can get.

Twister said...

Good interview. Thomas was a great captain. The way this team rebounded from all of the mid season turmoil and injuries speaks volumes about his leadership. He'll be missed.

Is it safe to assume his future with the Caps is a bit cloudy? Would he become a free agent after the summer?

Anonymous said...

I expect Andy will sign with the Caps. He's still a solid pro prospect in my mind, and a super leader - they kind of player and person that all teams need.

Angélique C. Murray (Jori) said...

Andy would become a free agent if not signed by August 15th. Caps fans have a mixed reaction in regards to signing Thomas.

du78 said...

Andy was not at the Caps prospects camp last summer, so I am not sure if they will sign him or let him become a free agent. He had been to their prospects camp in previous years.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to Andy T. He was always solid and steady during his DU career. I can't see him cracking an NHL lineup, but I hope it works out for him.