Alum Kevin Ulanski Signs With Colorado Eagles

From: Loveland Reporter-Herald
by Adam Dunivan

DU Alum Kevin Ulanski is coming back to Colorado, where some of his most memorable moments as a hockey player took place.

The former University of Denver Pioneer signed with the Colorado Eagles today, becoming the first non-returning player signed by the team for the 2008-09 season.

Ulanski has spent the last three seasons playing for the Elmira Jackals. This will be his first experience in the CHL, but he said he is looking forward to the return to the Centennial State.

“Getting back to Colorado is going to be awesome for me,” said Ulanski. “I loved every bit of it when I was in college, and now getting to play with the Eagles is going to be exciting. They always are competing for the championship, and I like to win.”

If Ulanski is used to one thing in hockey, it’s winning. Another savvy player, he has plenty of big-game experience. He was the assistant captain for the DU back-to-back championship teams, as well as the MVP of the UHL’s Colonial Cup Championship playoffs in 2006-07 while with the Rockford IceHogs.

His time in the AHL, considered the “AAA” of minor-league hockey, proved beneficial, and he hopes to get there again, but he is gearing his focus on helping the Eagles for now.

“My goal has always been to play in the (AHL) … and I’m not cutting out the chance at moving up again,” Ulanski said, “but I’m going to be by my family, and I’m going to try and win and have fun while I’m playing again.

“I like to think of myself as a reliable forward on both ends of the ice, I like to score goals and set up plays, but I also pride myself on defense and doing what it takes to win.”

Kevin McClelland also said Ulanski was a player the Eagles had been looking at for a while, and he has the versatility to fill many roles.

“He’s a guy that’s going to bring a lot of speed to our hockey club, and a lot of experience,” McClelland said. “Anytime you get someone that’s won championships, they know how much you have to sacrifice to get to that level.”

Ulanski will reunite with Erik Adams, and he also said he knows Scott Polaski quite well from playing against him while Polaski was at Colorado College.

In 217 career professional games as a winger, Ulanski has registered 125 points (45 goals, 80 assists). His best year statistically came in 2006-07, when he scored 66 points in 61 games. He also has averaged about a point per game in the postseason, scoring 22 points in two playoff stints.

No comments: