DU Professor "JJ" Johnston Passed Away


"JJ" Johnston, a professor who touched thousands of lives at DU, passed away early Wednesday morning. His Business Law class was always one of the most popular classes offered at DU. LetsGoDU joins the DU community in offering sincere sympathies to "JJ's" family.



Here is some updated information regarding the services for him. As more information is available, it will be continually updated.

MEMORIAL SERVICES ARE BEING PLANNED AT THE UNIVERSITY OF DENVER. THEY WILL BE ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2008. TIME AND DETAILS ARE TO BE DETERMINED.

MANY YEARS AGO “JJ” AND JEAN ESTABLISHED AN ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP AT THE DANIELS COLLEGE OF BUSINESS. IF YOU WISH TO MAKE A MEMORIAL CONTRIBUTION FOR “JJ” PLEASE MAIL IT TO:

UNIVERSITY OF DENVER,
OFFICE OF GIFT PROCESSING,
DEPARTMENT 585,
DENVER, COLORADO 80291-

OR YOU CAN PHONE JESSICA KNAUF: 303.871.7954.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you take nothing from DU and have absolutely nothing in common with alumni but this guy, that would make up for a lifetime in college. JJ Was one badass mother fucker. End of story. The one professor who considered skiing to be the greatest gift. RIP my main man...

Unknown said...

JJ was my grandfather and the best one at that! I would love to hear more stories as I know he impacted so many, and in so many different ways!

Kristin

Anonymous said...

JJ was my grandpa as well. I would love to hear some stories as well. Thank you for everones support.Love you grandpa Jim.

Anonymous said...

I'm a 2004 DU graduate and was in JJ's Business Law class around 2002. I was also on DU's swim team. In our class, there were several athletes. Anyway, from the beginning, JJ made it clear to the entire class that it really didn't make sense for him to allow athletes to take time off class (for athletic events/races) UNLESS we won.

Well, one great memory I have of JJ (besides his "nota buenas") is that in 2002, another swimmer in the class and I had to take a couple days off for our swimming conference out in Los Angeles. Upon returning, I had the pleasure of telling JJ and the class that it was "okay he let us out of class... as we won the whole conference!"

I think he appreciated that :)

Unknown said...

My sister,brother and parents,Katie and the late Jim Ten Eyck,partied with JJ,wife Jean and their three children in the 1950s,1960s.
We saw more of JJ's family than our own cousins.
Whatever position my late father took,JJ took the other one (whether he believed in it or not). He was exceptionally bright,
articulate and caring.
My former college roommate called me to tell me she was taking a class at DU. Before
she could tell me who her professor was,I told her it had to have been JJ.
Did you know JJ streaked at least one class when streaking was in? Did you know that he was the kind of guy who,if a car behind him honked,would get out of the car to go shake the person's hand?He looked great in a tam o'shanter.