David Carle Debut's Blog On ESPN.com

(left) The proud father of DU's first Student Assistant Coach is also the father of DU's first Hobey Baker winner
-Anchorage, AK Jan. 2006

My name is David Carle and I am an 18-year-old freshman at the University of Denver. I am from Anchorage, Alaska, and attended high school at Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault, Minn. I will be writing this blog during the 2008-09 NCAA ice hockey season.

I am writing to you a few days after the four-month anniversary of my forced retirement from hockey and my diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). In short, the disease is a thickening of the heart wall that during strenuous activity increases the likelihood of sudden death. My story was very well-documented in the media as to how things took place, so I will not go into depth on that. However, I would like to openly acknowledge two acts of human kindness by two different institutions. First, the University of Denver athletic department, for honoring my four-year scholarship. I have heard of many stories of schools not honoring scholarships and am very thankful Denver chose to act the way it did. [read rest of article]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's going to be interesting to follow the season through David's eyes like this.