Brett Skinner Claims Role In Boone's Comeback

(above) Is DU Alum Brett Skinner the real founder of Boonetown?

DU alum Brett Skinner playes for the Chicago Wolves in the AHL. While at DU, Skinner won two National Championships with the Pioneers.

Last week a college hockey fan emailed LetsGoDU the following story. Its a pretty funny and its great to have a little mystery surrounding the origins of Boone's comeback.
DG, thank you so much for mailing me a "Welcome to Boonetown" shirt.

Last night I had a chance to show if off after the Wolves game and Colorado College alum Brett Sterling avoided me after he caught a glimpse of it.

Most interesting story of the night came from former Pioneer Brett Skinner. As he was signing autographs for kids on the way out of the arena, I showed off the shirt to him and mentioned that he might like seeing it.

Brett gets a big grin and goes "'Welcome to Boonetown,' nice. I do like it. Oh I want to mention that I was the one who started the whole 'Bring Boone Back' campaign, I like to think it's all my responsibility."

I asked, "So it wasn't Mannino who thought up the idea?"

"Nope, I'm the one who told him to put the little Boone logos on his pads (left). He still uses the Boone logo on his goaltending mask with the Islanders and Bridgeport." (Boone wearing rain slickers on his helmet).

"Yep; he takes all the credit for bringing Boone back though, but I was the one who gave him the idea. Oh, (on his way out the door) and those gold pads of his? I gave him that idea too. I told him he needed more gold."

And, Skinner mentioned that saw the work that LetsGoDU did in bringing the unofficial mascot back to campus & said he saw the photos and likes it.

7 comments:

puck swami said...

Love it!

I think it's time for Peter Mannino to respond!

The more the merrier...

Anonymous said...

I think we can settle it once and for all to see which one of them writes the largest check to the Mascot Fund....

dggoddard said...

"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan." - JFK

The People's Mascot owes his existence to so many from the DU athletes who got the ball rolling to the thousands on Facebook to the hundreds who wrote letters/email/posts.

Great to see Skinner & Mullen coming forward and saying they like how the mascot looks.

msbdu said...

Any chance to getting some endorsement from any of the current players?

dggoddard said...

Probably not until the Chancellor changes his policy set forth in his email last year.

Jordan said...

"Probably not until the Chancellor changes his policy set forth in his email last year."

Let's not forget- they're students first, right? They can use the Boone image and likeness to whatever extent they choose!

dggoddard said...

True.

But DU hasn't exactly proven itself to be a bastion of "Free Speech" in the past couple of years.