Boston Globe: Colborne Adding Weight To Frame

(above) Joe Colborne & Blake Wheeler interviewed last year at Fenway Park

From: Boston Globe
by Fluto Shinzawa

Yesterday morning, Joe Colborne checked in at 206 pounds, 13 more than he weighed at the start of his freshman year at the University of Denver. The weigh-in affirmed that Colborne, the 16th pick of the 2008 draft, had made the correct decision in playing college hockey instead of major junior.

“Lot of hard work,’’ the 6-6 forward said of gaining strength. “That was the main reason I went the college route, that I’d be working out three times a week. We have a great trainer down there. Since I’ve been home in the summer, I’ve been working out in Calgary six times a week. It’s nice to finally see the rewards.’’

At Denver last season, Colborne alternated between left wing and center. He scored 10 goals and had 21 assists in 40 games as the Pioneers advanced to the NCAA Tournament, falling to Miami in the first round. The 19-year-old Colborne will return to Denver for his sophomore season, then determine whether he’s ready to move on to the pro game.

“I’m ready to be a Bruin whenever I can be,’’ Colborne said. “But I’m not going to rush myself. I’m in a great situation back at Denver. Whenever we sit down with management, we’ll figure that out.’’

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice video; but we'll see who's who come next spring between Joey and this guy. Colborne's got the hotter team. Period. Therefore, if one was to place a bet as to which Lad would chance winning an NCAA National Championship first..... one would be severely inclined to vote for Mr. Colborne.

DenverGoldJersey said...

skinner was picked up by the avs today.