DU Alum Matt Donovan Scores First NHL Goal

The New York Islanders were all smiles on Tuesday night, and perhaps nobody smiled wider than DU alum Matt Donovan. The rookie collected his first career NHL goal in a 6-1 rout of the Phoenix Coyotes at the Coliseum.

With the Islanders leading, 2-0, and on a power play in the second period, Donovan ripped a slap shot from the blue line that Phoenix goalie Mike Smith initially seemed to gobble up. A split-second later, the puck trickled through Smith and found its way past the goal line at 11:47, resulting in a delayed but genuine grin from the 23-year-old defenseman.

“I was on my way back to the bench for a change and I heard everyone celebrating and turned around and saw it was in,” Donovan said. “I still don’t think it’s really hit me. It’s a good feeling and I hope there’s more to come.”

No comments: