Veideman Recovering Nicely

From: Denver Post
by Mike Chambers

University of Denver hockey captain Adrian Veideman has frightening memories of his accident Saturday night at Magness Arena. Veideman, who lost his helmet and banged his head on the ice during a skirmish with Colorado College co-captain Brandon Straub, said Monday he had problems breathing once he gained consciousness.

"It's a scary situation when something like that happens, and it definitely scared me," Veideman said.

DU trainer Aaron Leu helped ease Veideman's panic attack, which went away once Veideman was assured he had use of his extremities. The senior defenseman remembers everything that happened before his head hit the ice and Straub landed on top of him.

"I remember getting hit into the boards and going down without my helmet on," Veideman said.

"I was out for a bit there, and I was back when Aaron was talking to me."

The incident took place early in the second period of CC's 3-2 victory. Veideman was rushed to Porter Adventist Hospital, where doctors diagnosed a concussion but found no other damage. DU coach George Gwozdecky said his captain is questionable for this weekend's two-game series against visiting Minnesota State.

"Adrian is a lot better off than everybody thought he might be," Gwozdecky said. "I was with him late Saturday, early Sunday, and we walked out of the hospital together. He's got a pretty good concussion, and some whiplash effects, but obviously things could have been a lot worse."
Veideman, 6-feet-2 and 190 pounds, is not angry at Straub, who is the Tigers' biggest player at 6-4, 230 pounds.

"It's part of the game," Veideman said. "I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt me. It's one of those things, just an accident. You can't put any blame on anybody."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is good news. Sounds like a class individual.

LetsGoMavs said...

I just did the run down for "hot or not Denver"...woof! Your team is a bunch of uggos! I had higher expectations. What a let down! Let's hope they play as well as they look this weekend!!