Paukovich Signs With Oilers
Sources at DU are reporting that forward Geoff Paukovich will be leaving DU a year early and has signed a contract with the Edmonton Oilers. An announcement is expected in the next 24-48 hours. According to a comment left at LetsGoDU, Paukovich was given an offer "too good to pass up."

If the rumors are true, best of luck to Geoff as he pursues his dream of playing in the NHL. He was one of the most popular players at DU among the fans and the players, although the same couldn't be said for our friends up in Grand Forks.

Paukovich was originally drafted by the Edmonton Oilers in 2004 in the 2nd Round (57th overall). He won a silver medal on the U.S. World Under-18 team and a National Championship at DU in 2005.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a long time DU fan and enjoy reading the blog good work DG...I wanted to add my thoughts on paukovich and wish some DU uscho posters would also note these facts..some forget he was also on arguably the most talented US world junior team to date...yes they underachieved but note worthy nonetheless..also was player of the game in the bronze medal game...I think he plays better with better players. Look at last year Helgason,Vossberg,Glasser,May were not good distributors of the puck. when he played an offensive role with foster and corbin he was very successful. I feel that at the next level he might suprise some and be better offensively playing with more talented players. Pauko was a reliable player who I feel was used as a fall back. I think its a credit to him that gwoz would play players with him to get the most out of the other players. He would of had better numbers if he could consistently play with offensive minds.Nonetheless best of luck Geoff you were a fan favorite and great to the kids during hockey camp and you will be missed...Sorry if I rambled but just my thoughts.

Scott

dggoddard said...

Scott,

Good points and thanks for the perspective.

Twister said...

No doubt Pauko will be missed. I hope he has a long and productive career in the NHL. He gave a lot to DU and USA Hockey and is getting a very well-deserved opportunity. I'd be lying, though, if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that I won't be able to see any of his bone-crunching checks this year at DU games. I always looked forward to his shifts. Best of luck to Geoff.