DU Defenseman Burns Hand In Cooking Fiasco

From: Denver Post
by Mike Chambers

(Left) DU Defenseman Chris Butler better stick to Chicken Parmesan over at Mannino's house during hockey season


This Butler is no chef.

Chris Butler, a valuable University of Denver defenseman, has a developing scar on his right hand because of a kitchen fire that could have cost the hockey player his career.

Butler, whom Pioneers coach George Gwozdecky considers one of the best defensemen in college hockey, burned his hand while dealing with a pan full of oil Sept. 11.

Despite the accident, Butler had an assist in DU's 5-1 victory over the University of Calgary in an exhibition game Sunday. Butler should be close to full strength Friday when the Pioneers begin the season with a two-game nonconference series against visiting Maine.

"I was basically doing everything wrong," Butler said of his accident. "I put the lid on the oil pan, which they say you're not supposed to do, heating it up for a bit while watching some TV. I came back in, took the lid off and it started smoking. I set the lid down and as soon as I did that, the pan ignited.

"Flames came up about two feet. I didn't know what to do, but I knew you didn't want to throw water on it. I threw a dish towel on it and it just burned right away."

Calmly, Butler opened the nearest exit door of the house and thought he'd throw the pan outside. "So I grabbed the pan and walked slowly backwards, and it either spilled on my hand or the flames got it," he said.

The fire died on its own but about 80 percent of Butler's hand was badly burned. He called trainer Aaron Leu and was treated accordingly. Butler could not hold a stick for about two weeks.

"It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen," he said of the wound.

It could have been worse. Butler said spewing oil just missed his face and other parts of his body.

Since the accident, he and his teammates have learned that one of the most important kitchen products is baking soda.

No comments: