TheDraftGuy.com Profiles Joe Colborne

TheDraftGuy.com took some notes during the World Junior A Championship game on DU recruit Joe Colborne. Not sure of the author's qualifications or background, so take the comments with a grain of salt.

Colborne is also dominant looking out there skating wise, staying to perimeter though. Nice hands on a couple of occasions, anticipates the play well, has been the dominant player in the game in first half.

Colborne is looking really good. If he crunches a couple of guys I'll be sold. Great anticipation. Never seems to leave the ice.

I like Colborne's skill; he's a dominant Junior A player with his size and skating; is playing on the perimeter a bit. Good anticipation.

Oh - Colborne just scores on a nice feed from Connolly. Not hard to tell these guys have played together before. Nice hands.

Colborne was less effective/involved in the second half of the game. Never threw those hits I was hopin to see.

He reminds me of a cross between Sutter and JVR [UNH's James vanRiemsdyk]. Not as physical as Sutter (which isn't very physical), but better hands. The skating, size and anticipation remind me of Sutter and to a lesser extent JVR. His hands are more like JVR's, but he's not as strong. One bodycheck all night and it was a rub out. Is he a top 20 player in this draft? I suppose, the size/skill combo are top ten, but I really want to see some semblance of aggessiveness the next time out.

Based on the one game

Joe Colborne - 15-25 pick in the 1st Round. I'm not sold enough to put him in the top 15 in this draft just yet. He has the tools to be a really good player, but it's worrisome to see a guy his size unwilling to hit. He'd rather be out in the open ice skating than in the corner banging. I'd like to see him at the U-18's, but his junior team will probably still be playing.

2 comments:

LetsGoMavs said...

Goddard- you big doof! Over on USCHO you said "who are these Mankato guys? I've never heard of them." Ahem! If you read my blog you would know!!

*forehead flick!!*

dggoddard said...

I read your Blog and I still don't know who they are. I was too distracted watching four goofball's from Duluth worship Stalock.