DU Student Newspaper Reports On Trotter

From: DU Clarion Student Newspaper
by Brooks Kirchheimer

(left) Brock Trotter

Another season of DU hockey and another player leaving the team early. This time around, sophomore forward Brock Trotter is the culprit, as it was announced last Thursday that he had signed a three-year contract with the Montreal Canadiens and will forgo the remainder of his college career.

"I had some personal issues going on, which led me to look at my options, and there seemed to be some interest for me to play pro hockey," said Trotter. "Montreal then got involved, and the more I looked at it the more I realized that it was a great fit for me. The organization liked the way I play and liked what I had to offer."

These personal issues that prevented Trotter from traveling with the team last weekend to Minnesota State. At a time last week when Denver was in the midst of losing four of its last five games it was just bound to happen that Trotter would leave.

It is no huge surprise that Trotter would make the decision with the type of numbers that he has shown in a little over two seasons.

Trotter scored three goals and dished out two assists his freshman year in five games before suffering a season-ending Achilles tendon injury and later receiving a medical red shirt.

Last season Trotter showed that he was truly the real deal as he led the team with 40 points on 16 goals and 24 assists in all 40 games. With the 40 points, Trotter became the first freshman to lead the team in scoring since the 1986-87 season when Dave Shields did it.

Before the Minnesota State series, Trotter had played in every game this season and lead the team with 31 points on 13 goals and 18 assists. The Brandon, Manitoba, native has finished his Pioneer career with 32 goals and 44 assists for 76 points in 69 career games.

"It has always been a goal of mine to play pro hockey, and to be able to be a part of such a great Canadian hockey organization is a dream come true for me. And with Montreal being an Original Six team in the NHL, it is even a bigger honor for me to be with them," said Trotter.

The former Pioneer has been assigned to the Canadiens minor league affiliate, Hamilton, of the American Hockey League and could play as early as tomorrow.

"I arrived here the other day, and I am getting settled in and am looking forward to helping them the rest of the season. I haven't played back in Canada in a really long time, and I am extremely excited to be playing back in my home Country," said Trotter.

The last time Trotter played in his native country was when he was a member of the Dauphin Kings in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League during the 2003-04 season.

The Canadiens and Avalanche will not meet this season, which makes the earliest chance for Trotter to return to Colorado during the Stanley Cup playoffs or next season if he is on the NHL roster.

"The guys were very supportive, the coaching staff was really excited for me and all the players were really good about it," said Trotter about his early departure.

"We will have to wait and see what the professional future holds for Trotter, but for now all we can say is: good luck," said a teammate.

What they're saying...
"I'm definitely going to miss him he's a good friend of mine, he was my line mate so it's hard on me but all in all I'm happy for the guy and best of luck to him," - Tyler Bozak, forward

"It's a lifelong dream of Brock's to play in the NHL as it is a lot of guys on this hockey team. He is one of our best players on our team, but I'm happy for him I wish him all the best." - Matt Glasser, forward

"Brock Trotter is a great player and we are excited to see how he does at a professional level like you said that's everybody's dream and he's going for it." - Peter Mannino, goaltender

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked at Hamilton's Roster... and was surprised to see a familiar name... Mathieu Carle. I doubt there is any relationship... but I still thought it was Ironic

Anonymous said...

While I wish Trotter well at the next level, his departure is ancient history, in my opinion. Whatever he did to get himself suspended/booted/in trouble or whatever speaks to some fairly major character issues. Yeah, he was a good player whose contributions cannot be ignored, but it's time to move on.