McKeens Interviews DU Recruit Matt Donovan

From: McKeens Hockey.com
by Kevin Way


(left) DU recruit Matt Donovan will join DU in 2009


The USHL has a strong crop of defensemen eligible for the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, and Cedar Rapids RoughRiders defenseman Matt Donovan is one of them. The 6-foot-0, 190-pound blueliner is not as big as some others are, but the Oklahoman is among the USHL's leaders in defensemen scoring as a rookie and leads the league in plus/minus just over halfway through 2007-08.

McKeen's recently had the opportunity to chat with Donovan and talked about his adjustment to the USHL, his father's impact in his development, his time with the Dallas Jr. Stars, playing for Team USA, his commitment to the University of Denver, and his NHL role model.

McKeen's: We are a little over halfway through 2007-08 and you are among the top ten in USHL defense scoring and leading the league in plus/minus. What are some of the things that have helped you adjust smoothly, from appearance, and what have been the biggest adjustments for you?

Donovan: The skating and the toughness, everyone's tougher here, it's stronger. The USHL is a really tough league and it's a pretty hard process to get into, strength wise, with all these guys. But, all the older guys on our team have been pretty good in giving us tips in what to do. So, that's pretty good.

McKeen's: As far as tips go, obviously your father is big in hockey in the state of Oklahoma as the USA Hockey coaching coordinator for the state and a big part in developing the ACHA D1 team at Oklahoma. Tell me about his impact in your development and some of the stuff he taught you.

Donovan: It's a huge impact. He's been with me ever since I started skating, he's the one that got me into to. So, pretty much all the basic stuff, I learned from him. So, he's been a big help.

McKeen's: Your dad is originally from Massachusetts, and he was a linesman in the Central Hockey League and even played three games, at what point did he make the move to Oklahoma?

Donovan: I think in college he moved down there as a transfer student, and then he liked it down there and met my mom, so he stayed there.

McKeen's: That will do it. Now, prior to Cedar Rapids, you played Midget AAA with the Dallas Jr. Stars, a highly regarded program, especially now. Tell me about your decision to go play there and your time there.

Donovan: My decision to play there was just because it was close to home and it's a really good program and my dad knew Dwight Mullins, the coach there (now with the Texas Tornado), and Craig Ludwig, defensive coach there, a really, really good coach. He played many years in the NHL. So, my dad wanted me to go there, learn a lot from him, and that's pretty much how I made my decision.

McKeen's: Obviously, with a great defensive defenseman like Craig Ludwig to show you the ropes, it is a big help. What were some of the big things Craig imparted upon you?

Donovan: One main thing I remember and learned from him was just keeping a good stick, keeping my stick out there and just taking away time from the offensive players coming down the ice.

McKeen's: What are some of the areas you are looking to improve in your game while you are with Cedar Rapids?

Donovan: Skating, I need to get quicker, a lot quicker. Since this league is so good and so fast, strong, I need to get quicker and stronger.

McKeen's: I have noticed in your backwards skating that you are fairly strong in not having to use a lot of crossovers once you've established your speed. Tell me about the importance of that and when you picked that up, because in the NHL, too many crossovers backward will kill you.

Donovan: Yeah, just coming up through hockey, I've always been taught not to crossover, because when you crossover, it'll kill. The forwards, especially in this league, they're so fast and quick, they'll kill you if you start crossing over.

McKeen's: On the flipside, what do you feel are some areas of strength in your game?

Donovan: I feel like I see the ice pretty well, make some good passes here and there, play pretty strong defense. So, I think I'm pretty good.

McKeen's: Now, you played for Team USA at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Tell me about the how Select Festival was for you leading into that and what was your reaction to being selected?

Donovan: It was really exciting. I was really honored to play for Team USA, so that was good. Going through Select Festivals was fun. The coaches were just talking to me through the Select Festival, telling me what I needed to do to get on the team. So, I just listened to them and did what I needed to do.

McKeen's: With that tournament, tell me about the hockey there and some of the things you took away from it.

Donovan: The hockey was really good. All the kids were our age and the best kids in the whole world just go there to play. Pretty much, what I learned from there is just that those are the best kids in our age and that's where I need to look up to and where I need to be, where I need to play.

McKeen's: It helps you gauge yourself and set the bar.

Donovan: Yeah, exactly.

McKeen's: Any particular highlights from the tournament, either on or off the ice?

Donovan: Off the ice, just a great team. All-around, great players to play with and a great coaching staff. It was a great experience.

McKeen's: You are a University of Denver recruit, going there in 2009. Tell me about that decision to play the extra year in the USHL.

Donovan: Actually, I kind of have to, because I'm only a junior in high school.

McKeen's: Yeah, that will settle that for you.

Donovan: (Chuckles) Yeah, that'll settle it. So, yeah, I pretty much have to play two years.

McKeen's: Well that will work out pretty well and give you that much more time to mature before going to Denver. With Denver, when did they start talking to you, or vice versa, and what was the process that coach George Gwozdecky led you through?

Donovan: Pretty much, my dad has always been pretty good friends with the assistant coaches there and they've always talked to me and always watched me, growing up through the hockey ranks. They pretty much watched me through the Select Festivals and watched me in Dallas. My Dallas coach talked to them a lot. They always liked me and I finally decided to go there. It's pretty close to home, great program, great school. So, my dad likes where I'm going.

McKeen's: What was the date that you committed?

Donovan: Umm, that's a good question. May of last year.

McKeen's: It is not bad to know toward the end of your sophomore year where you will be going. The NHL Entry Draft is coming up, do you ever think about that at all?

Donovan: I try not to think about it. I just try and work hard and see where it takes me.

McKeen's: Central Scouting, in the mid-term rankings, did not have you ranked. What was your reaction?

Donovan: I don't know, makes me want to work harder. It's all I need to do, tells me I need work a little harder to get noticed.

McKeen's: Or, perhaps some need better eyes. And lastly, I read that, other than your dad, you look up to Nicklas Lidstrom. Tell me a bit about, this is obvious on its face, but tell me a bit about what it is about Lidstrom's game that you like?

Donovan: Just, like, his defensive play. He's so strong, doesn't make many mistakes, plays his way, and doesn't make many mistakes. That's what I like about him, and I try to play kind of like him, similar to him.

McKeen's: Going back to when you were talking about using your stick, that is obviously something Lidstrom is very well known for.

Donovan: Exactly.

McKeen's: Plus, you guys are roughly the same size.

Donovan: Yeah, he's not a big guy. He knows how to play with his stick. (To read entire article)

1 comment:

MeanEgirl said...

He looks like... a younger version of Alex Kangas.