Rocky Mountain News Profiles Joe Colborne

From: Rocky Mountain News
by Pat Rooney


(left) Former DU star Craig Redmond is the only Pioneer player ever to be drafted in the First Round of the NHL Draft

In the long history of University of Denver hockey, and despite the seven national championships the program has collected since 1958, only one Pioneers player has been selected in the first round of the NHL draft.

That's why Joe Colborne has a chance to make DU history even before he actually dons a Pioneers jersey.

Colborne, perhaps the premier prize in what is expected to be an impact group of incoming freshmen at DU, has a strong shot at becoming the second Pioneers player to get picked in the first round when the draft begins Friday in Ottawa (5 MDT, Versus).

The second through seventh rounds will be conducted Saturday.

Incoming Pioneer David Carle, the brother of 2006 Hobey Baker Award winner Matt Carle, is expected to be selected during the second day.

"You hear a lot of things, but most of those are from people who don't have too much say in what the teams are going to be picking," Colborne said. "If I wind up going in the first round, it will be an unbelievable experience. If I don't and I go later in the draft, it won't matter to me at all.

"I think the draft is kind of blown out of proportion a little bit in how important it is because no matter where you get drafted, it's still a long road until you get to the NHL.

"I'm getting excited and I'm not that nervous anymore because I've done pretty much everything I could do. Now it's kind of out of my hands. When I go down to Ottawa, it will be more of a 'enjoy the moment' type thing."

DU's only first-round selection occurred in 1984 when Craig Redmond was selected sixth by the Los Angeles Kings.

Colborne is not expected to go that early-many draft forecasters have the 6-foot-5, 195-pound forward going in the last half of the first round - but his stock has soared after a stellar career in the Alberta Junior Hockey League.

Colborne, a native of Calgary, Alberta, led the Camrose Kodiaks to a second consecutive AJHL regular-season title and led all scorers in the playoffs with eight goals and eight assists.

Regardless of where Colborne is drafted, he is eager to join a program that has sent, among others, Carle and Avalanche center Paul Stastny to the NHL.

"That is one of the main reasons I decided to go to Denver," Colborne said. "Since I've been down to visit the campus, meet the guys and talk to coach (George Gwozdecky), I'm even more excited to get there. They are such good coaches. They have done it before and they have helped so many guys move on to the next level. I can't wait to get started."

No comments: