5 Things You Didn't Know About Andrew Thomas

(above) DU Alum Andrew Thomas is profiled in the Bakersfield Californian

From: Bakersfield Californian

I was the recipient of the WCHA scholar athlete award. Last year I was fortunate enough to win a partial scholarship for the post graduate school of my choosing for my academic accomplishments while I attended the University of Denver. My parents always stressed the importance of academics and I have been lucky enough to succeed on and off the ice.

My father refereed college hockey along with two NCAA National Championship games. My father was a goalie in a small college in Massachusetts and then went on to become a referee. When he was transferred to Wisconsin he did a great deal of his games in the WCHA and was invited to the NHL referee camp.

My brother is a lieutenant in the United States Navy. My brother, Matt, attended the United States Naval Academy, where he played Lacrosse and hockey and he is now on the last leg of his service. He is stationed in Norfolk, Va., and is currently headed back from a six-month deployment.

I am a soccer fanatic. I follow European soccer very closely, especially my two favorite teams Celtic Football Club and Manchester United. Next to the winter Olympics my favorite event to watch on TV is the World Cup even though I have never been a good soccer player. I appreciate the athleticism the players have and the massive following some of the teams have.

I have won championships every place I have played since youth hockey. On the three junior teams I played on through high school I won league or playoff championships and most recently while at Denver I won a National Championship, one regular season championship, and two playoff championships.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We know something else about Andrew Thomas - TODAY is Andrew's 23rd birthday !!!

Happy Birthday Andrew .....we love you so much .

dggoddard said...

Lets not tie up valuable LetsGoDU bandwidth with "Birthday Greetings" from relatives.

Just kidding. :-)

Happy Birthday.