Nobody Puts Baby In A Corner

(above) Despite being the youngest player on Cedar Rapids, 2009 recruit Paul Phillips is one of the best blueliners in the USHL
"It just felt right [committing to DU]," Phillips said. "I loved it. Once I went out there, I told my dad 'Dad, they're going to be hard to turn down.'
From: The Gazette
by Jeff Johnson

CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA — A 10-player skirmish has broken out along the boards after a whistle, with players pushing and shoving each other.

This eventually leads to DU recruit Paul Phillips of the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders pulling off his gloves and going toe to toe — or fist to fist — with an Omaha opponent.

It doesn't take long for Phillips to take control of this fight. He lands a couple of stiff rights before the players fall to the ice and the linesmen step in.

After the game, the Omaha player has a swollen-shut black eye, courtesy of a guy affectionately, and ironically, known in the RoughRiders' locker room as "Baby."

"He's a big, strong guy," RoughRiders Coach Mark Carlson said.

Or a big strong baby, as the case might be.

OK, a little explanation is needed.

Phillips is called "Baby" because he was the youngest player on last year's team, taking a regular shift on defense despite being all of 16. The suburban Chicago resident just happens to be the youngest guy on this team as well, edging forward Cody Murphy by a couple of months.

"Yeah, it was different. I was definitely nervous coming in last year," Phillips said. "But the guys took me under their wings and showed me what to do, showed me how it was. There were no guys on the team that were angry at me or showed jealousy toward me. They were all great guys, and it's the same this year.

"Two years running (I'm the youngest). But it's different being a second-year guy."

You can tell that by the improved offensive production. He scored all of three points in 43 games last season but has surpassed that with a goal and four assists in eight games this season. He's also a very solid plus-eight.

Phillips has a way to go offensively, but he's strong defensively, not to mention strong, period. He's listed at 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds and obviously has a mean streak that's always key for a defenseman.

"He's shown some improvement," Carlson said. "He's working to improve his puck movement. That's a big thing for him. But he cares about his defense and works hard at it."

Carlson said he had no qualms about drafting a 15-year-old two summers ago. Phillips was a physical presence for his Chicago Chill Midget team and had some international experience as well. He's listed by NHL Central Scouting as a possible mid-round draft pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and made a commitment to the University of Denver last summer before he turned 16. Riders defenseman Matt Donovan also will play hockey at Denver next season.

"It just felt right [committing to DU]," Phillips said. "I loved it. Once I went out there, I told my dad 'Dad, they're going to be hard to turn down.'

"I felt as though if I kept waiting, it was just going to get harder and harder. I had to keep telling the schools that came after me first 'Sorry, but I'm going to hold out a little bit longer.' It was hard saying that. So I felt as though it was only fair to make a decision to a school that I thought I fit perfect at."

No comments: