Local Regina Boy Fulfills Dream With NHL Contract

(above) Tyler Bozak and Toronto GM Brian Burke

From: The Regina Leader-Post
Rob Vanstone

After a frenetic few days, Tyler Bozak was able to unwind on Sunday by taking in a movie.

Appropriately, he saw Adventureland.

The Regina-born Bozak's most-recent adventure was unlike anything he had ever experienced. From the moment his college hockey season concluded with the University of Denver Pioneers, he was deluged with National Hockey League contract offers.

After nearly a week of contemplation, Bozak decided to sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was introduced to the ravenous Toronto media horde Saturday morning at the Air Canada Centre, experiencing first-hand the unrelenting spotlight while sitting beside Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke.

"It was nerve-racking, definitely,'' Bozak said from Toronto on Sunday. "Getting the jersey from Brian Burke was one of the greatest moments of my life.''

While all that was transpiring, Bozak thought: "Wow! My dream's come true. I made it.''

He was quick to qualify that assessment. Despite the fanfare that accompanied the signing, the talented centre knows that plenty of work remains if he is to ascend to the NHL. Rehabilitation must continue on an injured left knee that forced him to miss half of the 2008-09 NCAA season. He would like to add some bulk to a 6-foot-1, 180-pound frame.

All that will come in time. The weekend was an occasion to savor an initial taste of the NHL.

"The fans in Toronto are great,'' Bozak said. "I'm recognized. It's just awesome to walk down the street and have someone say, 'Congratulations. You're going to love it here.' "

In the midst of the whirlwind, Bozak did have the occasion to marvel at how far he has progressed.

"I've come a long way,'' he said. "It's really exciting to think that I was playing on the Regina Pat Canadians and now I'm a Toronto Maple Leaf.''

How will he spend the signing bonus?

"I think I might get a vehicle,'' Bozak said with a chuckle. "I'm not going to go too big. I just want something that gets me around. I'm not used to having anything real nice, so anything will be a treat for me.''

Tyler Bozak, it seems, will save his flashiest wheels for the ice.

3 comments:

Twister said...

Is it just me or does Burke look as though he just came back from happy hour?

dggoddard said...

...or Shotgun Willies.

msbdu said...

Hey I am 59, he said he is 53, makes me feel good that someone looks a lot older than I do.

Probably too many Molsons, heh