The criteria for the award are as follows:
- Candidates must display outstanding skills on the ice
- Candidates must be in good academic standing at an NCAA college or university
- Consideration should be given to academic achievement and sportsmanship
- Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules; be full time students at an NCAA college or
university; and complete 50% or more of the season
- Consideration should be given to the candidate's activities in the community
As all DU fans can confirm, Cowley is an outstanding candidate for this award and is very deserving of this honor.
It is stipulated that candidates for this award will be determined by nominations from all 60 NCAA Division I men's hockey coaches and the finalists and winner will be selected by a committee of coaches, scouts, and members of the media.
The award was given to Connor Hellebuyck of UMass-Lowell in 2014 and to North Dakota's Zane McIntyre in 2015. Of the 20 names on the 2015-16 watch list, 4 are from the NCHC.
LetsGoDU would like to offer Cowley our sincerest congratulations at the honor of being selected to the watch list and the best of luck as the season wears on in winning the award.